Saturday 11 May 2013

Counting on the Good Days

Some days, your kids are monsters, you're out of energy and patience, and you think, Why am I doing this? Was I crazy to have kids? What was I thinking?

And some days, it all works out.

Today had the potential to go really badly. With my eldest daughter's gymnastics class, a visit to wine country and two parties to go to, we had a packed agenda with no time buffer for aligning the kids' naps (the three-year-old still naps midday, while the nine-month-old is on a two-nap schedule). "They'll nap in the car," we reasoned ambitiously. Hoping we hadn't forgotten anything important, we packed for the day like we were going on safari, with enough snacks, toys and other gear to provide for my eldest's entire daycare class.

And guess what? Everything went according to plan. We did everything we were supposed to do, the kids were well behaved and super cute, and we eventually got them fed and into bed, where they're now sleeping the sleep of the totally exhausted and overstimulated.

When you have young children, these are the days you live for. The days you feel like you've got this parenting thing under control. The days your kids make you laugh and smile, and you're so proud to tell everyone they're yours. The days that make up for all those other days, when you're at the end of your rope and it's not even noon yet.

As I watched my eldest falling asleep in her car seat while the baby slept peacefully beside her, I thought to myself, Remember this. Tomorrow might be a different story; they might drive you crazy; they might be cranky and tired and out of sorts...

But today was a good day.
 
The kind of day that makes it all worthwhile.

 

No comments: